Monday, November 10, 2008

Yummy Minestrone and some cute kids

My friend Sarah Paskin from Santa Barbara always posts yummy recipes that have become family favorites on her blog. So I decided to copy her and post a delicious Minestrone Soup recipe. I tried following a recipe out of Parent's Magazine, but I ended up creating my own. Hope you enjoy!
Minestrone Soup
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup Italian turkey sausage, cut into small pieces (I used chicken)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 cup chopped carrots
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 can (16 oz.) chopped canned tomatoes
5 cups chicken stock
1 can white beans, drained
1 can red kidney beans, drained
2 cups zucchini cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 cups baby spinach
1 cup cooked bowtie pasta
2 tablespoons pre-packaged pesto
2 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium saute pan. Add sausage, brown well.
2. Add tomato paste, cook 5 minutes.
3. Add onions, celery, garlic, carrots and oregano. Cook until garlic is aromatic, approx. 5 minutes.
4. Pour into a large pot. Add tomatoes and chicken stock.
5. Simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
6. Stir in beans, zucchini, spinach and cooked pasta. Cook on high for 8 minutes or until beans and pasta are warmed through and spinach has wilted.
7. Pour the soup into bowls. Top with a little pesto and fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
O.k. on to some cute kids. Don't you just love the look on Eli's face? "I'm gonna get my brother and I'm gonna get him good. Muuuhhhaaaaaa (Dr. Evil's evil laugh)."Goofy Munchkins. Eli and Emily are so much alike. They both have a ton of energy and they like to play the same games:) I can already tell that they will be friends forever.
Can you see Eli's 1st black eye? He went head first off the couch and landed on the corner of our hope chest. He cried for one minute and then said, "It's o.k., mommy." Like he needed to console ME.
Eli wanted to be swaddled like a baby.
I sure am enjoying the cooler weather. Although, it's supposed to be 86 degrees on Saturday for the big birthday party!!! Hope you enjoyed the new pictures and God Bless.

No comments: